1840 - 1850
Detached three-bay two-storey with attic rendered double pile house, built c. 1848. Single-storey canted bays flanking central single-storey rectangular porch to north front, single-storey stone wing projects to east. Pitched artificial slate roofs, hipped to south block with gabled dormers, clay ridge tiles, close paired unpainted smooth-rendered corbelled chimneys with yellow clay pots, moulded extruded aluminium rainwater goods c. 1985 on projecting painted timber fascia and soffit, projecting painted timber barges with sheeted soffits. Pitched lead sheet roofing to porch and bays, overhanging moulded painted timber eaves. Unpainted smooth-rendered walling. Square-headed window openings, limestone ashlar dressings to canted bays with chamfered reveals, hood mouldings to first floor windows, dressed stone sills to ground floor, painted stone sills to first floor, painted two-over-two timber bi-partite sash windows to ground floor, bi-partite painted four-over-four timber mullioned sash windows to first floor. Four-centred arched entrance door opening, chamfered reveals, square hood mouldings, painted timber panelled double doors with decorative leaded panes. Internally, rooms have dado-panelling, decorative cornicing, modelled spandrels to bays. Set on slightly elevated site in mature grounds behind high stone boundary wall with tennis court, formal garden, gravel paths.
Avena House is a well-composed middle-sized mill owner's house that is of initial significance for its association with the nearby corn and flour mills, Avena Mills. Well maintained, the house retains its original form and much of its original character, while important salient features and materials survive intact. Its Tudorbeathan detailing is well-executed.