Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Scientific, Technical
In Use As
1670 - 1675
Seven-arch bridge over river, built 1673. Repointed coursed rubble limestone walls centred on triangular cutwaters to piers to upriver (east) elevation on mass concrete bases having rendered pyramidal capping with margined tooled cut-limestone coping to benchmark-inscribed parapets. Series of seven segmental arches with margined tooled limestone ashlar block-and-start voussoirs (east) or rough hewn limestone voussoirs (west). Sited spanning Garvogue River.
A bridge representing an important component of the seventeenth-century built heritage of Sligo (Irish Historic Towns Atlas Sligo 2012, 21) with the architectural value of the composition confirmed not only by the blue-grey limestone dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arches making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the Garvogue River: meanwhile, a benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).