Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1875 - 1880
Corner-sited seven-bay by nine-bay three-storey rendered commercial outlet, built 1878. Pitched artificial slate roof hipped at corner, artificial ridge tiles, replacement uPVC profiled gutters and downpipe, c. 2000, on painted timber fascia to west face, moulded uPVC gutter on plain brackets to main south-facing elevation with cast-iron downpipes and hoppers. Painted rendered finish to south elevation, ruled-and-lined to west elevation. Square-headed window openings, painted moulded-render architraves, painted stone sills to upper storeys, painted timber plain-glazed sash windows, decorative iron sill guards to south elevation windows. Projecting eight-bay oriel window to first floor west elevation in painted timber with casement frames with leaded lights over, c. 1926. Main south elevation shopfront, returning onto Quay Street, in painted timber with, centrally-located, half-glazed double doors with three large display windows to each side. Fascia sign, incorporating canvas awning mechanism, reads "Henry Lyons & Co Ltd, The Sligo Warehouse, Henry Lyons & Co Ltd, The Sligo Warehouse", wrought ironwork above, supported on fluted Ionic pilasters and cast-iron columns set behind glass. Mosiac tiled entrance reads "Henry Lyons & Co Ltd". West elevation shopfront in painted timber and glazed, c. 1995 with inscribed fascia sign reading "Henry Lyons & Co Ltd", leaded light canopy over entrance, c. 1986, in replacement metal frame, c. 1995, fully glazed frames to remainder of elevation. Street-fronted to south and west sides.
A substantial and well-known Sligo landmark which has operated from these premises since the 1870's. Attractive features have been retained including leaded lights, mosiac tiles and a distinctive traditional shopfront. Cast-iron columns are utilised to allow unobstructed window displays. The building is of special importance because family-operated individualistic department stores are rapidly disappearing.