Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Detached three-bay one-and-a-half-storey stone former caretaker's lodge, built c.1876. T-shape on plan with gable-fronted two-storey projection to north and lean-to entrance porch in south-west corner. Now in use as civic offices. Pitched slate roofs, painted timber decorative bargeboards to east and west gables, cast-iron rainwater goods with profiled gutters. Coursed squared limestone walls with sandstone window details and rock-faced sandstone quoins. Semi-circular-headed window openings to gabled bay and south with arch-headed voussoirs, sandstone block-and-start quoins, limestone sills, painted timber two-over-two sash windows, c. 2000, on west side of south roof, single dormer window containing two-over-two replacement timber sash windows c. 2000. Square-headed window opening to porch under sandstone lintel, with sandstone block-and-start surround and limestone sill, containing two-over-two replacement timber sash window c. 2000. Square-headed door opening to entrance with rock-faced stone lintel and block-and-start reveals, varnished hardwood vertically-sheeted door, c. 2000. Located in curtilage of Town Hall and backs onto Henry Lyons Department Store to south.
This pleasant little building displays all of the high quality materials and level of craftsmanship evident in the Town Hall, its more prestigous neighbour. Now in use for administrative purposes, it continues to make a valuable contribution to this important location.