Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Technical
Moylurg originally Clogher
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Detached three-bay two-storey country house over half-basement house, built c.1800, now in use as house, with two-storey extension to north-facing side elevation. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and limestone eaves course. Pebble-dashed walls with tooled limestone quoins and plinth course. Basement filled in to side elevations. Square-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills, replacement uPVC windows and ashlar surrounds. Wyatt windows to front elevation. Segmental-headed doorway with ashlar surround, stained-glass fanlight and sidelights and timber panelled door, approached by limestone steps. Decorative timber engaged fluted colonnettes flanking door. U-plan range of outbuildings to yard to north of house, comprising L-plan two-storey range with hipped slate roof and roughcast rendered walls and single-storey range with pitched slate roof. Remains of ha-ha wall to west of walled garden. Walled garden to west of house with decorative cast-iron railings, and decorative cast-iron entrance gates with carved stone piers to north.
Moylurg House is an attractive country residence of architectural and historical significance. Built near the site of Moylurg Castle, it is believed locally that stone from the castle was used to build the house, adding archaeological interest to the site. The original timber Wyatt windows have been replaced, but the eighteenth-century decorative door surround comprising sidelights, fanlights and carved colonnettes survives. The walled garden with its impressive cast-iron railings and entrance gate, together with the remains of a ha-ha and the outbuildings to the rear yard, contribute to the setting of this country house. The carved stone piers and elaborate cast-iron entrance gates and railings are an appropriately elegant approach Moylurg House.