Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Technical

Original Use

Gate lodge


1800 - 1820


182821, 303149

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey crenellated gate house, built c.1810, flanked by single-storey bays to north and south. No longer in use. Roof hidden by crenellated parapet with decorative lead hopper remaining. Sandstone walls with punched limestone dressings. Limestone quoins to flanking bays with pinnacles to angles. Central four-centred integral carriage arch opening with tooled limestone trefoil-profiled surrounds and cast-iron gates. Vaulted ceiling to carriage arch. Square-headed and pointed-arched window openings with label and hood-mouldings, chamfered limestone surrounds and replacement windows. Central window flanked by limestone decorative panels. Pair of square-headed door openings within archway with tooled chamfered reveals, limestone thresholds and timber panelled and battened doors. Pedestrian wrought-iron gate in random rubble stone wall to north. Octagonal bollards flank roadway to east and west of gate house.


This fine Gothic style gate house formed a spectacular entrance into the Rockingham Demesne, now Lough Key Forest Park. The gate house was possibly designed by the architect John Nash, who was responsible for the house, or by his draftsman Humphrey Repton who is credited with the design of many of Rockingham's lodges. This building, with its crenellated parapet and limestone dressings differs hugely from the other more classically designed lodges associated with the demesne. Built in a Gothic idiom, it is an outstanding and an impressive entranceway to the estate. A notable feature of the fine stonework is the extensive use of punched limestone dressing. Without exception, all of the limestone dressing has been punch dressed from plinth through to parapet, including the vaulted ceiling of the carriage arch and the bollards which line the roadway standing, indeed almost guarding, the gate house itself.