Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical

Original Use


In Use As



1840 - 1845


183194, 257575

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached six-bay double-height Catholic church, built 1842; reconstructed 1942-3, on a cruciform plan comprising four-bay double-height nave opening into single-bay (single- or two-bay deep) double-height transepts centred on single-bay double-height apse to crossing (east) on a half-octagonal plan. Renovated, 1994. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof on a cruciform plan, cut-limestone coping with Cross finials to apexes, Cross finial-topped engaged gabled bellcote to apex (west), and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves with cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast walls on rendered plinth; repointed margined tooled limestone ashlar walls (east) on repointed margined tooled cut-limestone chamfered plinth. Lancet window openings with cut-limestone sills, cut-limestone block-and-start surrounds with Cavetto hood mouldings framing leaded stained glass windows. Square-headed window openings (east) with leaded stained glass windows. Tudor-headed door opening (west) with margined tooled cut-limestone surround having chamfered reveals framing timber boarded double doors. Square-headed door openings (transepts) with margined tooled cut-limestone block-and-start surrounds centred on keystones framing timber boarded double doors having overlights. Interior with part exposed timber roof construction over crossing. Set in relandscaped grounds.


A church displaying a traditional cruciform footprint, neo-medieval pointed openings, and a simple bellcote marking the roof: the semi-polygonal apse is later and was built using stone reclaimed from the demolished Rookwood House in neighbouring County Galway (see 30402006). The interior, its nave divided by chiselled limestone Ionic columns reclaimed from the portico of Rookwood House, includes a tablet recording that Saint Patrick's Catholic Church was built (1842) by Reverend Bartholomew Hyacinth Keher (c.1800-72) and was reconstructed (1942-3) by Reverend Bernard Keane (----).