Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Social Technical
1760 - 1770
Detached former Church of Ireland church, built 1766, now derelict. Comprising three-bay nave and three-stage tower to west with balustrade parapet. Roughcast-rendered walls with dressed quoins and string courses to tower. Remaining cast-iron rainwater goods. Pointed-arched windows and Diocletian windows to third stage of tower. Round-arched entrance with block-and-start surround. Block-and-start surround to statue niche in tower. Various upright and recumbent grave markers around church, including a mausoleum. Crypt to east of church. Site bounded by random coursed wall with ashlar gate piers and wrought-iron gates.
Though falling into ruin, Mount Talbot church retains its original form and atmosphere. It is accentuated by the impressive elegant tower to the west. The collection of carved grave markers and the mausoleum of Lady Talbot enhance the setting, which is completed by the finely-executed stone gate piers.