Survey Data

Reg No

31818005


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1860 - 1880


Coordinates

194046, 258198


Date Recorded

02/09/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached gable-fronted Roman Catholic church, built c.1870, with seven-bay nave. Lean-to side aisle to north fronted by two-stage bell tower with pinnacles and later copper spire. Sacristy to south-east. Pitched slate roof with stone coping and stone and cast-iron finials. Cut stone chimneystack to sacristy. Random coursed limestone walls with angle buttresses, dressed quoins and dressed plinth to tower. Pointed-arched cut stone windows to nave and tower. Curvilinear-arched cut stone windows to east elevation. Stained glass windows. Pointed-arched doorway with block-and-start surround and double timber battened door. Interior with hammerbeam trusses to roof and pointed-arched colonnade to side aisle. Graves of deceased priests to south. Church set in yard bounded by low wall with ashlar gate piers and wrought-iron gates.

Appraisal

St. Patrick's church is an excellent example of late nineteenth-century ecclesiastical design. The combination of the ashlar dressings with the roughly squared stone blocks to the walls provides interesting textural detail. The stained glass windows lift the otherwise grey fa├žade, while the interior is warm and bright, which is in direct contrast to the limestone exterior. The squat tower adds a robust quality to the church. The setting is completed by the fine ashlar gate piers and gates, which are both decorative and technically appealing.