Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1860
Detached three-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, extended to east with three-bay two-storey block. Shop and public house to ground floor and extension to rear. Pitched tiled roofs with rendered chimneystacks. Pebbledashed walls with rendered plinth. Timber sash windows with stucco surrounds and stone sills. Painted tooled block-and-start door surround with keystone containing timber panelled door with fanlight. Shopfront comprising timber panelled double doors, flanking display windows, console brackets to cornice with rendered fascia with applied lettering. Limestone threshold to timber panelled door. House fronts onto street.
This house is one of the few original and intact houses in Knockcroghery, following a fire in the town during the Troubles in the 1920s. It retains a fine shopfront, which together with the building's imposing height, makes it a significant contributor to the streetscape.