Survey Data

Reg No

31817036


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical


Original Use

Convent/nunnery


In Use As

Building misc


Date

1850 - 1855


Coordinates

186982, 264169


Date Recorded

15/08/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached eight-bay two-storey convent, built in 1854, with fa├žade flanked by projecting gable-fronted wings, south-eastern of which is a chapel and modern multiple-bay three-storey extension to rear. Now used as a school. Pitched slate roofs with terracotta ridge tiles, cut stone chimneystacks and stone corbel course to eaves. Stone cross finial to chapel. Random coursed limestone walls. Buttresses to flanking wings. Canted bay to ground floor of north-west wing. Chamfered tooled stone block-and-start surrounds to windows. Triangular-headed openings with timber margined sash frames to convent and pointed-arched with hood mouldings to chapel separated by buttresses and with traceried east window. Cut stone canted porch approached by limestone steps and with stone flag roof containing timber panelled double doors in chamfered pointed-arched opening with hood moulding surmounted by pediment with stone cross finial and flanked by chamfered pointed openings with timber windows with hood mouldings. Chapel abuts former industrial school to rear. Set within own grounds with nun's graveyard to north west with rows of cast-iron grave markers and bounded by cast-iron railings and gates.

Appraisal

This former convent, designed by the architect John Neville in 1854 with later additions carried out in 1899 by Walter Doolin is a handsome and well-proportioned building. Executed in attractive stone, the building is embellished with interesting details and features. The pointed-arched windows, buttresses and finials are notable Gothic Revival features and create a sense of austerity. The nun's graveyard with highly-ornate iron work completes the setting.