Survey Data

Reg No

31816008


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social, Technical


Original Use

Mill (water)


Date

1840 - 1880


Coordinates

180797, 262699


Date Recorded

04/09/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached four-bay five-storey former corn mill, built c.1860, abutted by ruinous mid-twentieth-century structures including grain store. Now derelict. Pitched corrugated-asbestos roof. Random coursed stone to front and side elevations with tooled quoins, tooled eaves course and voussoirs to openings. Concrete ties projecting from fa├žade. Brick cambered-arched and cut stone flat-arched window and door openings, now blocked up. Rear elevation rebuilt with concrete blocks after fire c.1965. Ancillary stone buildings to south have been remodelled. Possible remains of weir to river. Site is now used as a grain depot.

Appraisal

Towering to a height of five storeys, the former mill at the heart of Castlecoote dominates the surrounding complex and village. Its stone exterior is typical of large nineteenth-century mills.