Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Historical Social Technical
1825 - 1925
Detached two-bay two-storey former courthouse and bridewell, built c.1830 and rebuilt after fire c.1920, flanked by single-storey bays to each end. Now disused. Hipped slate roof with cut stone chimneystacks, terracotta ridge tile and finials and cast-iron rainwater goods. Ruled-and-lined render to walls with quoins and tooled stone parapet to side bays. Stucco window surrounds with timber sash windows and stone sills. Blind windows to ground floor of main block. Timber battened door to eastern flanking bay. Courthouse fronts directly onto Church Street.
Though burnt during the War of Independence and rebuilt in the 1920s, this former courthouse retains much of its original form and proportion pertaining to the early nineteenth century. The timber six-over-six sash windows and timber battened door along with the stucco detailing, embellish the plain façade, and make it a notable feature on Church Street, which was widened in the 1820s by the 2nd Lord Hartland.