Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
1855 - 1865
Detached railway water tower with cast-iron tank, built c.1860 by the Midland Great Western Railway as part of the Longford to Sligo line. Now disused. Random course rock-faced stone walls. Stamp to tank bears manufacture's name 'Wm Turner, Dublin'. Cut stone voussoirs to round-arched door opening. Entrance now blocked by board.
This former water tower forms part of a group with the surviving railway related structures. The architectural form of this functional structure, which is repeated throughout mid nineteenth-century railway stations, is enhanced by the well-executed stonework. A feature of technical note is the manufacture's stamp to the iron tank, which gives information relating to the structure's origin and history.