Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1845 - 1850
Five-arch limestone road bridge, built in 1846 by contractor R.A. Gray on behalf of the Commissioners for the Improvement of the Navigation of the River Shannon. Pedestrian underpass to northern quayside. Upstream and downstream U-cutwaters. Coursed cut limestone walls with ashlar parapet, ashlar voussoirs to segmental arch-rings. Carved plaque to parapet detailing history of bridge with bench mark below. Cast-iron lamp standards added to parapet wall c.1990. Bridge links Counties Leitrim and Roscommon.
Carrick-on-Shannon was one of the ancient crossing points of the Shannon. The masonry bridge was erected in 1846, replacing an earlier structure. A combination of coursed blocks, ashlar parapet and tooled voussoirs give the technically significant design an aesthetically pleasing quality.