Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Social Technical
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Freestanding three-stage limestone tower with clock, erected c.1880, by the tenants of the Boyle and Rockingham Estate to the memory of the Honourable Laurence Harman King-Harman, second son of the Viscount Lorton who died 1875. Comprised of battered base with roughly-dressed coursed stone with ashlar pilasters at the angles surmounted by entablature with garland-decorated frieze. Upper part has clock-faces set between fluted pilasters supporting cornice, surmounted by third stage with sculpted tympanums and curved stone roof topped with stone ball finial. Formerly louvres in openings between clock and pediments. Mechanised clock mounted to tower, c.1920, but replaced with electrical clock in 1979. Varirous plaques set into base of monument. Situated in pedestrian area of The Crescent.
This ornate and functional clock tower is of social importance to the town of Boyle as it was erected in memory of members of the community. It is also an attractive piece of street furniture, situated in an open urban space near the court house.