Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Social Technical
In Use As
1825 - 1830
Triple-arched limestone entrance gate to 'The Shambles' market yard, built in 1826. Tooled stone wall with pilasters and cornice. Central segmental-heade carriage arch leading to yard with cast-iron gates, flanked by flat-arched pedestrian doorways recessed in round-arched openings leading to shops. Random coursed stone boundary wall to shambles. Remains of old sheds for trading with cast-iron pillars and corrugated-iron roofs.
The entrance gates to 'The Shambles' remain largely intact. The finely-executed stonework and the decorative cast-iron gates distinguish this site from others in the area. The gates are reminiscent of a triumphal arch, a feature used in classical architecture. This site has, built in 1826 at the expense of Lord Lorton, has maintained its original function over time and is still occupied by several retail outlets.