Survey Data

Reg No

31804029


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1850 - 1890


Coordinates

180176, 302617


Date Recorded

22/07/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c.1870, with shopfront to ground floor and single storey extension to rear. Pitched tiled roof with rendered chimneystacks. Ruled-and-lined render to walls with channelled to ground floor. Shopfront with recessed timber panelled double doors with overlight and display window. Engaged fluted columns support fascia with console brackets and cornice. Upper floors accessed through timber panelled door with fanlight. Timber sash windows with stone sills and stucco surrounds. Building fronts onto street and backs onto river.

Appraisal

This modest structure, with its late-nineteenth century shopfront, makes a positive contribution to Main Street. Its classical proportions and its varied render techniques enliven the fa├žade, as does the timber panelled door with its simple fanlight and timber sash windows. Built as a pair with its neighbour, this terraced house forms an attractive part of the Main Street, and is an important structure in a nineteenth-century terrace.