Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Original Use


In Use As



1830 - 1870


180181, 302655

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace five-bay three-storey house, built c.1850, with a hardware store to ground floor. Two-storey return to rear with chamfered corner and modern extension. Pitched roof. Ruled-and-lined render to upper storeys with stucco quoins and dentil cornice. Continuous sill course to first floor windows. Channelled render to ground floor with shopfront. Recessed central shop entrance with step flanked by decorative cast-iron columns with timber and glazed double doors with overlight and display windows, surmounted by fascia with ceramic lettering 'W.J. Sloan' and console brackets. Stucco surrounds to windows with painted sills. Timber sash windows to upper floors with hoods to first floor. Round-headed window opening to central bay with block-and-start surround. Door opening to east end of building with pedimented block-and-start surround, timber panelled door and overlight. Limestone plaque set into threshold of shop entrance reads "W.J. Sloan Est. 1863".


This well-designed and imposing building forms a positive and notable part of Main Street. The stucco dressings and decorative detailing enliven the façade as does the shopfront with its cast-iron columns. The ceramic lettering in the fascia is a once common but now increasingly rare feature. This building has functioned as a shop, established in 1863, and its continuity as a retail outlet is an important aspect of this structure's history.