Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Social Technical
1780 - 1800
Detached Church of Ireland church, built c.1790 with a loan from the Board of First Fruits. Now disused, although graveyard is still in use. Comprising three-bay nave with projecting bay to east and castellated tower to west with vestry to north. Pitched slate roof with limestone coping, kneelers, cross finials and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random coursed sandstone walls with dressed limestone quoins, ashlar plat band to top of plinth and to upper walls. Ashlar limestone window surrounds with limestone sills. String course to tower. Lesser quality stone to tower and west gable end, which may originally have been rendered. Pointed-arched opening with diamond-paned traceried windows. Timber battened door to tower. Church is overgrown with ivy to north elevation. Various upright and recumbent grave markers to site dating from 1857 to 2000. Church is located in mature grounds on elevated site and bounded by stone walls with gated entrance with wrought-iron gates and sandstone gate piers.
This Board of First Fruits Church, although no longer in use, retains its original form and materials. The short tower and detailed stone work give it a robust appearance. Although situated on an elevated site, it is screened from the road and neighbouring houses by mature trees, thus presenting an appealing vista on entering the gates.