Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Scientific Social
In Use As
1700 - 1838
Detached three-bay two-storey farmhouse, extant 1838, on an L-shaped plan centred on single-bay full-height breakfront with two-bay (south-east) or single-bay (north-west) two-storey side elevations. Sold, 1854. Occupied, 1911. Hipped slate roof on an L-shaped plan with clay ridge tiles, paired roughcast central chimney stacks having cut-limestone stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta tapered pots, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves retaining some cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Part creeper- or ivy-covered roughcast walls on benchmark-inscribed chamfered plinth with rusticated rendered quoins to corners. Segmental-headed central door opening with cut-limestone surround centred on keystone framing timber panelled door having fanlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): bow-ended central entrance hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to door openings into staircase hall framing timber panelled doors having fanlights, and plasterwork cornice to ceiling; dining room (south-east) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters, and plasterwork cornice to ceiling; drawing room (north-west) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters, and plasterwork cornice to ceiling; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters. Set in landscaped grounds with limestone ashlar piers to perimeter having dragged cut-limestone pyramidal capping supporting spear head-detailed wrought iron double gates.
A farmhouse representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of the outskirts of Islandeady with the architectural value of the composition, one rooted firmly in the contemporary Georgian fashion, confirmed by such attributes as the deliberate alignment maximising on scenic vistas overlooking landscaped grounds; the compact plan form centred on an understated doorcase demonstrating good quality workmanship; and the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior where contemporary joinery; chimneypieces; and restrained neo-Classical plasterwork enrichments, all highlight the artistic potential of the composition (Ruane 1996 II, M23): meanwhile, a discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824). Furthermore, adjacent outbuildings (extant 1838); and the remnants of a walled garden (extant 1838), all continue to contribute positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained estate having historic connections with the Bourke family including Joseph Bourke (Lewis 1837 II, 27); the Livingstone family including William Livingstone of Westport (owner 1854); and the Fahy or Fahey family including Matthew Fahey (1849-1939), 'Farmer' (NA 1911).