Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
Midfield Catholic Church
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Detached five-bay double-height Catholic church, dated 1875, on a T-shaped plan originally five-bay double-height single-cell comprising four-bay double-height nave opening into single-bay (two-bay deep) double-height transepts centred on chancel to crossing (east). Renovated, ----, with sanctuary reordered. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof on a T-shaped plan with ridge tiles, concrete coping to gables on ogee kneelers with wrought iron Cross finials to apexes, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron square profile downpipes. Rendered, ruled and lined walls on rendered plinth. Lancet window openings, concealed dressings with hood mouldings on ogee label stops framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having margined square glazing bars. Pointed-arch window openings (transepts), concealed dressings with hood mouldings framing uPVC storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass panels. Pointed-arch door opening (west) approached by flight of three concrete steps, concealed dressings with hood moulding on ogee label stops framing timber boarded double doors. Lancet window opening (gable), concealed dressings with hood moulding on ogee label stops framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fitting having margined square glazing bars. Interior including vestibule (west); square-headed door opening into nave with glazed timber panelled double doors having sidelights on panelled risers below overlight; full-height interior with choir gallery (west), carpeted central aisle between timber pews, timber boarded wainscoting with timber dado rail, Gothic-style timber stations between frosted glass windows, carpeted stepped dais to sanctuary to crossing (east) reordered, ----, with pointed-arch chancel arch framing "flèche"-topped high altar, and vaulted ceiling with carved timber frame on carved timber cornice on trefoil-perforated frieze. Set in landscaped grounds on an elevated site with rendered piers to perimeter having gabled capping supporting wrought iron-detailed cast-iron double gates.
A church representing an integral component of the later nineteenth-century ecclesiastical heritage of County Mayo with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the "T"-shaped plan form; and the slender profile of the openings underpinning a streamlined "medieval" Gothic theme: meanwhile, aspects of the composition clearly illustrates the continued development or "improvement" of the church in the early twentieth century. Having been well maintained, the form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the vaulted interior reordered (----) in accordance with the liturgical reforms sanctioned by the Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican (1962-5) where contemporary joinery; some vibrant stained glass; and a "flèche"-topped high altar, all highlight the modest artistic potential of a church making a pleasing visual statement in a rural street scene.