Survey Data

Reg No

31307116


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical


Original Use

Bridge


Date

1890 - 1900


Coordinates

134637, 295336


Date Recorded

04/08/2011


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Two-span railway bridge over river, dated 1894; opened 1895; extant 1895. Closed, 1975. Now disused. Tuck pointed snecked rock faced limestone walls centred on triangular cutwaters to pier with lichen-covered drag edged rock faced cut-limestone coping to parapets centred on riveted cast-iron girder spans retaining embossed cast-iron shield date stone ("1894"). Sited spanning Trimoge River with unkempt grass banks to river.

Appraisal

A bridge supplied by Joseph Westwood and Company (established 1856) of London identified as an integral component of the late nineteenth-century civil engineering heritage of County Mayo on account of the connections the development of the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway (WLWR) line by the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway (WLWR) Company, the so-called "Burma Road" opened (1895) in response to Arthur James Balfour's Light Railways (Ireland) Act, 1889.