Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
1700 - 1777
Remains of detached three- or five-bay two-storey farmhouse, extant 1777, on a T-shaped plan with outline of single-bay (single-bay deep) full-height central return (east). Vacated, 1795. Occupied, 1814. Derelict, 1838. In ruins, 1895. Set in landscaped grounds with cement rendered piers to perimeter supporting tubular steel "farm gate".
The remains of a farmhouse or minor country annotated as "Ashbrook [of] Moore Esquire" by Taylor and Skinner (1778 pl. 223) regarded as an interesting component of the eighteenth-century domestic architectural heritage of County Mayo. Furthermore, an adjoining walled garden (extant 1838); the fragments of a chapel housing the remains of George Moore (1729-99) of Moore Hall (ITA 1944); and an opposing monolithic dovecote annotated as "Pigeon House" on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1838; published 1839), all continue to contribute positively to the group and setting values of an increasingly-obscure estate having historic connections with the Moore family including John Moore (1763-99), President of the Government of the Province of Connaught (appointed 1798).