Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Scientific, Technical

Original Use


In Use As



1815 - 1825


96959, 319965

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Four-arch road bridge over river, designed 1817[?]; built 1820-1; dated 1820; extant 1838. Tuck pointed coursed cut-limestone walls centred on tooled limestone ashlar rounded triangular cutwaters to piers having domed pyramidal capping with cut-limestone "bas-relief" stringcourses supporting parapets having tooled cut-limestone coping centred on rope twist-detailed drag edged cut-limestone date stone ("1820"). Series of four elliptical arches between cast-iron "Pattress" tie plates with drag edged tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs. Sited spanning Owenmore River with unkempt banks to river. Additional photography by James Fraher


A bridge erected 'by order of the Grand Jury [and the] Right Honourable Denis Browne [1763-1828] Foreman', and to a design by William Bald (c.1789-1857), cartographer and engineer (appointed 1809), widely regarded as a particularly important component of the early nineteenth-century civil engineering heritage of County Mayo with the architectural value of the composition, one colloquially titled "The Musical Bridge", confirmed not only by the "sparrow pecked" sheer limestone dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arches making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the Owenmore River: meanwhile, a much-weathered benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).