Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1830 - 1840
Freestanding single-bay two-stage lighthouse, sanctioned 1830; built 1836; extant 1838, on a circular plan. Damaged, 1850. "Improved", 1895. Electrified, 1968. Automated, 1988. One of a pair. Rendered battered walls on cut-granite chamfered plinth with cantilevered walkway on cut-granite thumbnail beaded corbels supporting cast-iron "Serpentine" railings centred on lantern on repointed granite ashlar battered base. Square-headed door opening approached by two steps with concealed dressings framing timber door. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing fixed-pane fittings. Interior retaining cantilevered cut-granite spiral staircase with wrought iron balusters supporting wrought iron banister terminating in volute. Set in shared grounds on outcrop with limewashed battered boundary wall to perimeter.
A lighthouse erected as one of a pair (including 31300203) representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century maritime built heritage of Contae Mhaigh Eo [north County Mayo] with the architectural value of the composition, one attributable on stylistic grounds to George Halpin Senior (1776-1854), Inspector of Works and Lighthouses for the Ballast Board (appointed 1810; cf. 31307502; 31307604), confirmed by such attributes as the gently tapering silhouette; and the curvilinear iron work encircling the lantern.