Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1810 - 1815
Detached three-bay two-storey over part raised basement Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland glebe house, designed 1813; built 1813, on a rectangular plan with pair of single-bay full-height bows (west) centred on single-bay (single-bay deep) full-height return. Occupied, 1901; 1911. Sold, 1951. Repaired, 2007-8. Bow-ended hipped slate roof on an E-shaped plan centred on hipped slate roof, clay or terracotta ridge tiles, paired rendered central chimney stacks having cut-limestone capping supporting terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on roughcast eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Part Virginia creeper-covered roughcast walls. Hipped segmental-headed central door opening approached by platform of six cut-limestone steps with cast-iron bootscrapers, timber mullions supporting timber transom, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled double doors having sidelights below fanlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear (west) elevation centred on round-headed window opening (half-landing), cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows centred on six-over-six timber sash window having fanlight. Square-headed window openings (basement) with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing twelve-over-eight timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): central hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, and moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters on panelled risers. Set back from street in landscaped grounds.
A glebe house erected with financial support (1810) from the Board of First Fruits (fl. 1711-1833) representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century built heritage of Ballinrobe with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the contemporary glebe house (1815) in Westport (see 31212012), confirmed by such attributes as the compact plan form centred on an elegant doorcase showing a simple radial fanlight; the somewhat disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the diminishing in scale of the widely-spaced openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression with the principal "apartments" defined by curvilinear bows maximising on panoramic vistas overlooking the meandering Robe River; and the roof showing a slab-like Bangor slate finish. Having been well maintained, the form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior where contemporary joinery; restrained chimneypieces; and sleek plasterwork refinements, all highlight the artistic potential of the composition. Furthermore, a cottage-like gate lodge (see 31215045) continues to contribute positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained ensemble having historic connections with the Ballinrobe parish Church of Ireland clergy including Reverend James Crombie (----); Reverend Thomas John Burgh (1785-1845); Reverend James Anderson (1796-1863) 'late of Ballinrobe in the County of Mayo' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1864, 5); Reverend George Oliver Brownrigg (1820-97); Reverend James William Treanor MA (1845-1926), 'Archdeacon of Tuam' (NA 1901; NA 1911); and Reverend Robert Francis (1879-1950).