1810 - 1815
Detached three-bay two-storey over part raised basement Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland glebe house, designed 1813; built 1813, on a U-shaped plan with pair of single-bay full-height bows to rear (west) elevation centred on single-bay (single-bay deep) full-height return. Occupied, 1901; 1911. Sold, 1951. Restored, 2007-8. Hipped slate roof on an E-shaped plan with clay or terracotta ridge tiles, paired rendered central chimney stacks having cut-limestone capping supporting terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Roughcast walls. Hipped segmental-headed central door opening approached by platform of six cut-limestone steps with timber mullions on cut-limestone step threshold supporting timber transom, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled double doors having sidelights below fanlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear (west) elevation centred on round-headed window opening (half-landing), cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six (ground floor) or six-over-three (first floor) timber sash windows centred on six-over-six timber sash window having fanlight. Interior including (ground floor): central hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters. Set back from street in landscaped grounds with quatrefoil-detailed wrought iron double gates to perimeter.
A glebe house erected with financial support (1810) from the Board of First Fruits (fl. 1711-1833) representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century built heritage of Ballinrobe with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the contemporary glebe (1815) in Westport (see 31212012), confirmed by such attributes as the compact plan form centred on a restrained doorcase showing a simple radial fanlight; the somewhat disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression with the principal "apartments" defined by curvilinear bows maximising on panoramic vistas overlooking the meandering Robe River; and the roof showing a slab-like slate finish restored with financial assistance (2007-8) from The Heritage Council. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original or replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of the composition. Furthermore, adjacent outbuildings (extant 1894); and a cottage-like gate lodge (see 31215045), all continue to contribute positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained ensemble having historic connections with the Ballinrobe parish Church of Ireland clergy including Reverend James Anderson (d. 1863), 'Clerk late of Ballinrobe in the County of Mayo' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1864, 5); Reverend George Oliver Brownrigg (d. 1897); and Reverend James William Treanor MA (1845-1926), 'Archdeacon of Tuam' (NA 1901; NA 1911).