Survey Data

Reg No

31212063


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1805 - 1838


Coordinates

99850, 284427


Date Recorded

30/07/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace four-bay two-storey house, extant 1838, on a rectangular plan. Renovated to accommodate alternative use. One of a pair. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof with clay ridge tiles terminating in rendered chimney stack having stepped capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta pots, and uPVC rainwater goods on timber eaves boards on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Replacement gritdashed roughcast walls bellcast over rendered plinth with rendered "bas-relief" strips to ends supporting rendered band to eaves. Segmental-headed central door opening with drag edged tooled cut-limestone step threshold, and drag edged dragged cut-limestone surround centred on keystone framing replacement timber panelled door having fanlight. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement six-over-six timber sash windows. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front having cut-limestone kerbing.

Appraisal

A house erected as one of a near-identical pair (including 31212062) representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Westport with the architectural value of the composition, one of the 'large and handsome houses [erected] on both sides of the [Westport or Carrowbeg River]' (Lewis 1837 II, 699), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form centred on a restrained doorcase demonstrating good quality workmanship; and the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original or sympathetically replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby upholding the character or integrity of a house having historic connections with the Clampett family including John Clampett (b. 1837), 'Post Car Owner' (NA 1901).