Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1805 - 1838
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, extant 1838. "Restored", 2000, to accommodate alternative use. Replacement pitched fibre-cement slate roof with ridge tiles terminating in rendered chimney stack having stringcourse below capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Part creeper- or ivy-covered gritdashed roughcast walls on rendered plinth with rendered "bas-relief" strips to ends supporting rendered band to eaves. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement six-over-six timber sash windows having exposed sash boxes. Segmental-headed door opening with drag edged tooled cut-limestone threshold, and drag edged rusticated cut-limestone surround centred on fluted keystone framing timber panelled door having overlight. Interior including (ground floor): entrance hall-cum-staircase hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, staircase on a dog leg plan with turned timber balusters supporting carved timber banister terminating in volute, carved timber surrounds to door openings to landing framing timber panelled doors, and moulded plasterwork cornices to ceilings; dining room retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surround to window opening framing timber panelled reveals or shutters on panelled risers, Classical-style chimneypiece, and moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled reveals or shutters on panelled risers. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front having cut-limestone kerbing.
A house representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Westport. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original or replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior where contemporary joinery; Classical-style chimneypieces; and sleek plasterwork refinements, all highlight the modest artistic potential of a house having historic connections with the Reverend John Sanderson (b. 1870), 'Methodist Minister' (NA 1901), later of Cloghjordan, County Tipperary.