Categories of Special Interest
1799 - 1809
Stable complex, extant 1838, on a quadrangular plan about a courtyard including (south): Attached five-bay two-storey stable outbuilding on a symmetrical plan. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with rolled lead ridges, rendered, ruled and lined chimney stacks having capping supporting yellow terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-limestone eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast walls. Camber-headed central carriageway with drag edged rusticated cut-limestone block-and-start surround framing timber boarded double doors. Square-headed window openings with dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing cement rendered infill. Square-headed window openings to courtyard (north) elevation with dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing louvered timber fittings; (north): Attached five-bay single-storey coach house with half-attic on a symmetrical plan centred on single-bay full-height pedimented breakfront. Now disused. Hipped slate roof centred on pitched (gabled) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, paired tuck pointed limestone ashlar central chimney stacks having stepped capping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on limewashed eaves centred on dragged cut-limestone monolithic pediment. Limewashed lime rendered walls. Camber-headed central carriageway with concealed limestone ashlar voussoirs framing timber boarded double doors. Half-hipped square-headed flanking door openings in camber-headed recesses with concealed dressings framing timber boarded doors having four-over-four timber sash sidelights. Square-headed openings (half-attic) with dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing louvered timber fittings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A stable complex forming part of a self-contained group alongside an adjacent townhouse (see 31212052) with the resulting ensemble making a pleasing visual statement overlooking the canalised Westport or Carrowbeg River.