Survey Data

Reg No

31212048


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Bank/financial institution


In Use As

Bank/financial institution


Date

1870 - 1880


Coordinates

99882, 284484


Date Recorded

30/07/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached five-bay two-storey bank, opened 1875, originally detached on a rectangular plan centred on (single-storey) prostyle distyle Doric portico to ground floor. Reroofed. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks on rendered bases having stringcourses below capping supporting yellow terracotta octagonal pots, and concealed rainwater goods. Rendered channelled wall (ground floor) on rendered plinth; rendered, ruled and lined surface finish (first floor) with bull nose-detailed rendered panelled quoins to ends supporting "Cyma Recta" or "Cyma Reversa" cornice on blind frieze on stringcourse below lead- or zinc-covered parapet. Square-headed central door opening behind (single-storey) prostyle distyle Doric portico with dragged cut-limestone columns on stepped plinths having responsive pilasters supporting "Cyma Recta" or "Cyma Reversa" cornice on inscribed frieze on entablature below blocking course, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled double doors having overlight. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds centred on diamond pointed-panelled keystones framing one-over-one timber sash windows. Interior including (first floor): carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters. Street fronted with spear head-detailed cast-iron railings to perimeter.

Appraisal

A bank representing an integral component of the built heritage of Westport with the architectural value of the composition, one potentially repurposing a townhouse displaying a comparable footprint on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1838; published 1839), confirmed by such attributes as the compact plan form centred on a pillared portico demonstrating good quality workmanship; and the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor with those openings showing sleek "stucco" refinements. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby upholding the character or integrity of a bank making a pleasing visual statement overlooking the canalised Westport or Carrowbeg River.