1825 - 1838
Detached three-bay (five-bay deep) two-storey country house, designed 1825, on a square plan centred on single-bay full-height pedimented "bas-relief" breakfront; five-bay two-storey rear (west) elevation. Sold, 1924, to accommodate alternative use. Burnt, 1932. Rebuilt, 1933. Closed, 1974. Renovated, ----, to accommodate alternative use. Replacement hipped artificial slate roof on a U-shaped plan centred on pitched (gabled) artificial slate roof (breakfront) with ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on dragged cut-limestone cornice retaining cast-iron hoppers and square profile downpipes. Roughcast walls on tuck pointed drag edged dragged limestone ashlar plinth. Square-headed central door opening in square-headed recess with bull nose-detailed timber mullions on dragged cut-limestone step threshold, and drag edged dragged cut-limestone surround with monolithic pilasters supporting "Cyma Recta"- or "Cyma Reversa"-detailed cornice on blind frieze framing glazed timber panelled double doors having sidelights on panelled risers below overlight. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing six-over-six (ground floor) or three-over-three (first floor) timber sash windows with six-over-six (ground floor) or three-over-three (first floor) timber sash windows to rear (west) elevation. Interior including (ground floor): central hall retaining timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors; and timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with timber panelled splayed reveals to window openings. Set in landscaped grounds.
A country house erected for Richard Bingham (1764-1839), second Earl of Lucan, representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century domestic built heritage of Castlebar with the architectural value of the composition, one attributed to John Buonarotti Papworth (1775-1847) of London (Lever 1977, 84; DIA), confirmed by such attributes as the deliberate alignment maximising on scenic vistas overlooking landscaped grounds; the compact near-square plan form centred on a Classically-detailed doorcase demonstrating good quality workmanship; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the pedimented roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the historic or original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior: however, the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings has not had a beneficial impact on the character or integrity of a country house having connections with the succeeding Earls of Lucan including Field Marshall George Charles Bingham MP (1800-88), one-time Lieutenant of County Mayo (fl. 1845-88); Charles George Bingham MP (1830-1914), one-time Vice-Admiral of Connaught (fl. 1889) and Lieutenant of County Mayo (fl. 1901); and George Charles Bingham MP (1860-1949); and a succession of tenants including St. Clair O'Malley (Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland 1846 I, 351); Archibald Bathgate (----), 'Land Steward' (NA 1901); and Frederick George Townsend Gahan (1866-1955), 'Inspector Congested Districts Board [and] Civil Engineer' (NA 1911).