Survey Data

Reg No

31209046


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


Historical Use

Garda station/constabulary barracks


Date

1800 - 1838


Coordinates

114398, 290595


Date Recorded

21/11/2008


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached five-bay two-storey townhouse with dormer attic, extant 1838, on a rectangular plan. In alternative use, 1895. Occupied, 1901. Vacant, 1911. Refenestrated. For sale, 2011. One of a pair. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles terminating in rendered chimney stacks having stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta pots, rooflight to rear (west) pitch, and cast-iron rainwater goods on "Cyma Recta" or "Cyma Reversa" cornice retaining cast-iron downpipe. Creeper- or ivy-covered rendered, ruled and lined walls. Segmental-headed central door opening with step threshold, rendered surround with pilasters supporting archivolt framing replacement timber panelled double doors having fanlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds having bull nose-detailed reveals framing replacement aluminium casement windows. Interior including (ground floor): central entrance hall-cum-staircase hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, staircase on a dog leg plan with timber balusters supporting carved timber banister terminating in turned timber newels, and run moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling; and timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Street fronted with piers to perimeter supporting wrought iron gate.

Appraisal

A townhouse erected as one of a pair (including 31209047) representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century built heritage of Castlebar with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by such attributes as the rectilinear plan form centred on a Classically-detailed doorcase demonstrating good quality workmanship; and the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior: the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings, however, has not had a beneficial impact on the character or integrity of a townhouse forming part of a neat self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Upper Chapel Street.