Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1905 - 1910
Detached three-bay two-storey flat-roofed house, built 1906-8; extant 1911, on a rectangular plan centred on single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to ground floor; two-bay two-storey side elevations. Sold, 1927, to accommodate alternative use. Copper-covered flat roof not visible behind parapet, rendered chimney stacks having "Cyma Recta"- or "Cyma Reversa"-detailed capping supporting yellow terracotta tapered pots, and concealed rainwater goods retaining cast-iron hoppers and square profile downpipes. Drag edged rock faced ashlar walls with "Cyma Recta"- or "Cyma Reversa"-detailed cornice supporting balustraded parapet having lichen-covered coping. Paired square-headed window openings centred on square-headed window openings (first floor) with lichen-covered sill courses, and dragged lintels having bull nose-detailed reveals framing timber casement windows. Set in landscaped grounds on an elevated site with rendered panelled piers to perimeter having "Cyma Recta"- or "Cyma Reversa"-detailed stringcourses below capping supporting wrought iron double gates.
A house erected for Thomas John Reid (1872-1936), 'Gas Engineer' (NA 1911), representing an integral component of the early twentieth-century domestic built heritage of Ballina with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by such attributes as the deliberate alignment maximising on panoramic vistas overlooking rolling grounds and the River Moy; the compact rectilinear plan form centred on a modified porch; the robust rock faced surface finish; the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor; and the balustraded monolithic roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby upholding the character or integrity of a house having subsequent connections with the bishopric of the Catholic Diocese of Killala including Bishops James Naughton (1865-1950; fl. 1912-50) and Patrick O'Boyle (1887-1971; fl. 1951-71).