Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Scientific, Technical
In Use As
1830 - 1840
Four-arch road bridge over river, built 1833-5; dated 1835; extant 1838. Repointed snecked limestone walls centred on drag edged tooled limestone ashlar triangular cutwaters to piers with cut-limestone stringcourses supporting parapets having cut-limestone coping. Series of four elliptical arches with repointed red brick voussoirs. Sited spanning River Moy.
A bridge representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century civil engineering heritage of Ballina with the architectural value of the composition, one erected by 'Messrs. Armstrong and West…altogether unassisted by public money or presentments' (Ballina Impartial 19th August 1833), confirmed not only by the rough cut stone work offset by red brick dressings producing a mild polychromatic palette, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arches making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the River Moy: meanwhile, a benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).