Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1925 - 1930
Detached nine-bay two-storey Garda Síochána station, reconstructed 1926-7, on a rectangular plan. Closed, 2005. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks on rendered bases (east) or rendered buttressed chimney stacks (west) having concrete capping supporting terracotta pots, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on rendered cut-limestone eaves[?] retaining cast-iron downpipes. Rendered wall (ground floor) on rendered chamfered plinth with rendered stringcourse; roughcast surface finish (first floor) with rusticated rendered quoins to corners. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows having part exposed sash boxes. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A Garda Síochána station reconstructed to a design by the Office of Public Works (established 1831) representing an integral component of the early twentieth-century built heritage of Ballina with the architectural value of the composition, a somewhat featureless block repurposing the burnt-out shell of a constabulary barrack marked on the second edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1896; published 1898), suggested by such attributes as the lengthy rectilinear plan form; and the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor. A prolonged period of unoccupancy or neglect notwithstanding, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, thereby upholding the character or integrity of a Garda Síochána station making an imposing visual statement in Walsh Street.