Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1890
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house, extant 1890. Renovated. One of a pair. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof with ridge tiles terminating in cement rendered chimney stack having concrete capping supporting terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves boards on rendered eaves. Roughcast walls bellcast over rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing six-over-six timber sash windows. Segmental-headed door opening with tiled concrete step threshold, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having fanlight. Interior including (ground floor): vestibule; square-headed door opening into entrance hall with glazed timber panelled door having sidelights on panelled risers below overlight; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house erected as one of a pair (including 31204056) regarded as an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Ballina with the architectural value of the composition, one allegedly repurposing a bond store or warehouse (1834) marked on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1838; published 1839), suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; and the very slight diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a feint graduated visual impression. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior: the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings, however, has not had a beneficial impact on the character or integrity of a townhouse forming part of a neat self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Pearse Street.