Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1890
Terraced two-bay two-storey house, extant 1890. Renovated, 2007-8, to accommodate alternative use. One of a pair. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof with ridge tiles terminating in cement rendered chimney stacks having concrete capping supporting terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves boards on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron hopper and downpipe. Roughcast walls bellcast over rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement six-over-six timber sash windows. Segmental-headed door opening with concrete step threshold, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having fanlight. Interior including (ground floor): vestibule retaining timber panelled wainscoting with carved timber dado rail; square-headed door opening into entrance hall with glazed timber panelled door having sidelights on panelled risers below overlight; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house erected as one of a pair (including 31204057) regarded as an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Ballina with the architectural value of the composition, one allegedly repurposing a bond store or warehouse (1834) marked on the first edition of the Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1838; published 1839), suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; and the very slight diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a feint graduated visual impression. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original or sympathetically replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby upholding the character or integrity of a house forming part of a neat self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Pearse Street.