Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1890
Terraced two- or three-bay two-storey house, extant 1890. Renovated to accommodate alternative use. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks on rendered bases having concrete (west) or rendered (east) capping supporting yellow terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on roughcast eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hopper and downpipe. Rendered wall (ground floor); roughcast surface finish (first floor). Segmental-headed off-central door opening with cut-limestone step threshold, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having fanlight. Square-headed window openings with drag edged dragged cut-limestone sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement six-over-six timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): off-central vestibule retaining timber panelled wainscoting with carved timber dado rail; square-headed door opening into entrance hall with glazed timber panelled door having sidelights on panelled risers below overlight; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house regarded as an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Ballina. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original or sympathetically replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior where contemporary joinery; and sleek plasterwork refinements, all highlight the artistic potential of a house forming part of a neat self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Pearse Street.