Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
Saint Mary's Catholic Church
In Use As
1835 - 1840
Detached single-cell Roman Catholic church, built in 1839, with four-bay nave, central breakfront to gabled entrance elevation and single-storey sacristy to north-east. Pitched slate roof with profiled cast-iron rainwater goods, stone pinnacles and bellcote. Cut sandstone walls with ruled and lined render to south. Pointed-arched window openings with cut-stone surrounds, tooled sandstone sills and stained glass windows. Pointed-arched central door opening with stained glass over replacement timber doors flanked by pointed-arched door openings. Date plaque to breakfront. Graveyard with grave markers dating from the mid nineteenth century to present. Site enclosed by random coursed stone walls with decorative cast-iron gates flanked by ashlar gate piers.
Located on high ground and seen from miles around, St. Mary's Church is a dominant structure within the landscape. According to a history of the parish the church was built by Fr. George Gearty in 1839 on a site donated by John Notely with stone quarried in Benny Shanley's quarry in Fearnaught and lime which was burned in Paddy Fox's lime kiln adjoining Gortinty Lake. The stained glass was installed in the church by Fr. Bernard Geraghty who was in the parish between 1906-1920. St. Mary's Church expresses a pleasant architectural design and is enriched by decorative motifs including pinnacles to the corners of its nave.