Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1785 - 1790
Detached single-cell Church of Ireland church, built in 1785, with three-bay nave, two-stage entrance tower to west and single-storey vestry to north. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods, limestone eaves course and coping. Rendered lwalls to nave, random coursed walls to tower with string course to upper stage. Pointed-arched window openings to nave with timber sash windows and tooled stone sills. Pointed-arched window opening with timber tracery to east gable end. Pointed-arched and bullseye windows to tower. Timber sash window to vestry. Pointed-arched door opening with rendered surround and timber batten door. Graveyard with grave markers dating from the eighteenth century to present. Site enclosed by random coursed wall and wrought-iron gates flanked by ashlar piers. Church located on elevated site overlooking Lough Scur.
This church is located on a elevated site overlooking Lough Scur and its peaceful setting enhances the church. The church retains many original features which contribute to its architectural significance making St. Brigid's Church a valuable addition to County Leitrim's architectural heritage.