Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
1890 - 1920
Detached six-bay single-storey former creamery, built c.1900, with six-bay single-storey extension to rear and single-bay lean-to extension to east. No longer in use. Pitched slate roof with timber roof vents and cast-iron rainwater goods. Corrugated-iron roof to extension. Roughcast-rendered walls with rendered quoins. Timber sash windows have rendered surrounds. Door opening to front elevation with rendered surround, timber double door and overlight. Entrance-bay to front elevation. Two corrugated-iron structures to site formally used as a creamery shop and store.
This creamery is no longer in use but was once the principal creamery in Dromahair, serving dairy farmers in the area. It was common for small dairies to merge and form co-ops during the early to mid-twentieth century, resulting in many of these structures being abandoned. Though built as an industrial building the rendered surrounds to the openings create a decorative element to the otherwise plain structure. The creamery was built at a crossroads outside Dromahair making it accessible to farmers in the area. The two corrugated-iron structures to the site form an important and rare group of structures with the corrugated-iron shop located across the road.