Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1810 - 1820
Detached Church of Ireland church, built in 1815, with four-stage entrance tower to west end, three-bay nave and vestry. Pitched slate roof with pinnacles to angles and cast-iron rainwater goods. Castellated tower with pinnacles. Roughcast rendered walls with string courses to tower. Pointed-arched window openings to nave with tooled limestone surrounds and hood mouldings with replacement uPVC windows to long walls and original timber fixed windows to ends of west wall. Pointed-arched and square-headed window openings to tower with tooled limestone surrounds with louvered, replacement uPVC and original fixed pane windows. Pointed-arched door opening with chamfered tooled limestone surround, hood moulding and replacement timber double door, accessed up steps. Graveyard with grave markers dating from early-nineteenth century to the present and also Waldron family mausoleum. Stone outbuildings to graveyard. Site enclosed by random coursed wall with wrought-iron gates flanked by ashlar limestone gate piers. Ruin of medieval church in adjacent graveyard contains mausoleum.
St. Ann's Church of Ireland church is located on the banks of the River Shannon while its setting is further enhanced by the ruin of an earlier church in the adjacent graveyard, the boundary wall and the entrance gates. Unfortunately the original windows to the nave have been replaced. However, many original features do survive, including the fine stonework, and contribute to the significance of the church. The stone pinnacles on the church are of particular note and are an unusual feature in church architecture in the county. Pinnacles similar in style are found on the Roman Catholic church in Aghamore.