Survey Data

Reg No

30814012


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

Outbuilding


In Use As

House


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

198170, 297430


Date Recorded

27/06/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached six-bay two-storey former coach house, built c.1820, with two-bay pedimented breakfront and half-octagonal rear return. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles and ashlar chimneystack. Limestone and sandstone roughly dressed random coursed walls with quoins and tooled stone eaves course. Partly blocked-up segmental-arched integral carriage arch openings with cut limestone jambs and brick arches to breakfront and returns. Replacement timber casement windows with brick and cut limestone surrounds and stone sills. Windows inserted into door openings. Cut stone oculus to tympanum. Replacement timber and glazed door to return. Ruinous roughcast rendered outbuildings to north surrounding central yard. Single ashlar gate pier to north.

Appraisal

Classically designed, this former coach house is a fine example of nineteenth-century architecture. The well-proportioned building is enhanced by a subtle breakfront, tooled stone dressings and hipped-roofed return to the rear. The derelict outbuildings contribute to the setting and form an interesting group of structures with Jamestown House, which was home to the O'Beirne family.