Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical

Previous Name

Carrick-on-Shannon Union Workhouse

Original Use

Workhouse administration block

In Use As



1840 - 1845


194444, 300091

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached five-bay two-storey with attic Tudor Gothic former workhouse master's house, built in 1841, with two projecting end bays to rear and projecting entrance porch to east end and single-storey extension to rear. Pitched slate roof with gablets and corbels. Rendered chimneystacks. Random coursed stone walls with plinth and string course. Tooled limestone block-and-start surrounds to square-headed openings with replacement uPVC windows and label mouldings to central bay of ground floor. Tooled limestone Tudor arched chamfered door opening with replacement timber door, sidelights, overlight and with label moulding above and flanked by by windows with label mouldings. Lamp and date plaque over door. Attic dormers have pitched roofs with carved bargeboards. Building set within its own grounds with random limestone wall with cut stone gate piers.


Set back from the road on an elevated site, this imposing building is visible throughout Carrick-on-Shannon. Its composition is enhanced by architectural detailing including decorative stonework. As part of the former workhouse, this structure is of social and historical importance.