Survey Data

Reg No

30813015


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Artistic Architectural Technical


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1810 - 1850


Coordinates

193639, 299526


Date Recorded

16/07/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay two-storey over basement house, built c.1830, with Italianate front fa├žade and revived Gothic style rear elevation with slightly-projecting three-stage tower. Now in use as a conference centre. Recessed end bay to front elevation. Roof concealed behind parapet walls. Rendered chimneystacks. Rendered walls with cornice, string course, quoins and pilasters. Tooled stone crenellations to rear elevation and tower. Pedimented windows to ground floor front facade. Stucco surrounds to window openings with timber sash windows. Stained glass traceried window with hood moulding to tower. Projecting entrance porch with paired Ionic columns and timber panelled double doors. Entrance approached by sandstone steps. Rear elevation has crenellated flat-roofed porch with door. House set within own grounds, bounded by random stone wall with cast-iron gate and railings. Restored outbuildings to eastern yard, accessed from front of site and lane off St. George's Terrace. Curvilinear glasshouse to rear garden, bounded by random coursed stone wall.

Appraisal

Hatley Manor, set within its own landscaped grounds, occupies a pleasant site, enhanced by well-executed cast-iron railings. The design and detailing employed in the execution of the quoins, varied opening surrounds and elaborate entranceway add artisitc interest to the building. Formerly the residence of the St George family, this house and its related mausoleum form an architecturally-significant group of structures in Carrick-on-Shannon.