Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Pair of terraced two- and three-bay three-storey houses, built c.1820, now used as a supermarket. Line of buildings angled to full curve of street. Pitched slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks and terracotta pots. Ruled-and-lined render to walls with rendered quoins. Late-nineteenth century timber sash windows to upper floors. Mid-twentieth century flat-panelled timber door and overlight. Integral carriage arch to south end. Ground floor converted to supermarket with and has glass and timber doors, timber display windows and rendered fascia with cast-iron lettering. Extension to rear. Fronts onto street.
This imposing pair is an integral part of the streetscape of Main Street. The design, which adheres to the curve in the street, is visually appealing. These houses, though altered at ground floor level, retain their original form and materials including late nineteenth-century single-pane timber sash windows to façade, earlier multiple-pane sashes to the rear elevation and decorative yellow terracotta chimneypots to the rendered stacks.