Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1860 - 1890
Detached four-bay two-storey former store house, built c.1870, now a tourist information office. Hipped slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Random coursed limestone walls. Replacement timber casement windows with concrete lintels and stone sills. Replacement glazed timber door with voussoirs to segmental-arched opening with block-and-start jambs. Single-storey lean-to extension to west. Cut stone gate pier and cast-iron gate afford access to rear site. Structure fronts directly onto the street.
This stone-built structure is of historical significance to the town as it was a former Guinness barrel store and later, Carrick-on-Shannon's fire station. Although it has undergone alteration, the structure retains its original character. The random coursed stonework and slate roof contribute to the streetscape.