Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Historical, Technical
In Use As
1840 - 1850
Five-arch limestone road bridge, built in 1846 by contractor R.A. Gray on behalf of the Commissioners for the Improvement of the Navigation of the River Shannon. Pedestrian underpass to quayside. Upstream and downstream U-cutwaters. Coursed cut limestone walls with ashlar parapet, ashlar voussoirs to segmental arch-rings and tapered ashlar gate piers to Bridge Street end. Carved plaque to parapet detailing history of bridge with bench mark below reads: Central plaque to the bridge 'This bridge was erected by the Commisioners for the improvement of the navigation of the River Shannon. 1846. John William Earl Of Besborough Lord Lieutenant. R. A. Gray Contractor'. Stone mooring posts to northern quay. Cast-iron lamp standards added to parapet walls, erected c.1990. Bridge links counties Leitrim and Roscommon.
Carrick-on-Shannon was one of the ancient crossing points of the River Shannon. The masonry bridge was erected in 1846, replacing an earlier structure. A combination of coursed blocks, ashlar parapet and tooled voussoirs give the technically-significant design an aesthetically pleasing quality. The associated pedestrian underpass and mooring posts create an interesting group of structures.